Waiting on the Night

Yesterday was so crazy busy, right up until the time that I closed my eyes at 10pm, that I could only get through today by looking ahead to 5pm when I would have a few blessed hours of down time.  I had to get up very early to get my daycare baby in at 6:30, then drank my coffee, stripped my bed, saw my son off to college, took a shower, got things ready for the day in the girls' room, made chocolate chip muffins then took my M/T daycare child to school, drop off my younger daughter at work, come back and meet my older daughter with my granddaughters, feed everyone then get school work started!  All before 9:30!!

The girls were playing very well today and Dakota and I started our day watching Olympic short videos on Comcast about some of the athletes and sports.  He is getting very interested in the upcoming events!  Then he went into the diningroom and pulled up the writings he is working on at his computer and when he was finished two of them and ready to save the third, we proofed and edited them and printed the finished products.  We came into the livingroom and played a round of Renaissance Go Fish and then began the first two parts of Meet the Masters, Paul Cezanne.  Meet the Masters is an excellent program, although initially a little pricey, but you have each set of art lessons and programs for three years.

We took a lunch break and I desperately needed some downtime, so I put the girls to bed and told my son he could have an hour.  I planned to eat and do nothing but relax.  Well, by the time I changed over the laundry, got my infant granddaughter settled, called both Baltimore City and Baltimore County Recycling to find out why my recycling wasn't going to be picked up and got my lunch ready I had a whole 10 minutes to relax!

The afternoon work was done in the livingroom.  Dakota finished his lesson on Simple Machines for Science.  Yesterday it was catapults and levers.  Today it was gears, wheels and axles and pulleys.  He got out a set of gear "blocks" that someone had given us and worked with them for awhile, then we read the text and he did the workbook that went with it.  I am very pleased with Harcourt's Science and I love having the workbook and science experiment ideas.  Dakota watched a video on KhanAcademy about Least Common Multiples and then did the math lesson that went along with that.  KhanAcademy is an awesome program I just found (thanks Kris!) this weekend and I love how it explains the math concept!  Last, but not least, we finished Chapter 30 of Story of the World, learning about how Buddhism began.  Dakota listened to the reading then answered the comprehension questions and did the map work.  Only 9 more chapters for Volume 1 and then we are going to have a little geography fun with countries to finish up third grade.

Now I am sitting next to our new electric fireplace with a glass of wine, playing on my computer and getting ready to watch last week's Ghost Hunters and some other DVR'd programs until my husband comes home.  I so needed a night like this.  Tonight and tomorrow early are supposed to be icy so I am most concerned about getting my men home safely tonight and then we will possibly have a delay of the kids coming tomorrow.  As far as my little son and I, we will be warm and dry, inside, once again praising the joys of homeschooling.  I only wish I had homeschooled all my kids and I really, really wish I never had to stop homeschooling my other son.  There are so many benefits to it and time at home in the winter snuggling with your kids can't be beat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week

Senior Year

Changes, COVID and Career