Turkey Feathers and Making Rocks

Today was a bit chaotic since my husband was home from work, my daughter had an unexpected fall and had to take herself and her unborn baby over to the ER to be monitored AND it was pouring down rain so we couldn't get outside.

I let the preschoolers watch Handy Manny this morning, which is something we have moved away from.  I do not usually put on the television for them in the morning anymore.  They come in and get started with playing or reading.  I only had one of the babies and she was playing in the nursery.  My homeschooled son got to sleep in a bit and have a slower morning, since a rainy, gray Monday is not very conducive to high energy and an early start.  By 9am there were french toast sticks for all and then a morning activity for the preschoolers while my son did some independent writing on his computer.  The girls learned about Pilgrims and Indians, although I don't think they really understood.  We read a book called My First Thanksgiving, which was a counting book and every other page was about a group of pilgrim children or a group of indian children.  I repeatedly asked them which group we were looking at, but I think they had a 50-50 chance of getting it right so sometimes they did.  Afterward, we made Indian head dresses and the girls really enjoyed gluing on their feathers and then wearing their headbands.


After I finished with the girls, they went in to play in the nursery and my son and I did an experiment out of his science text using crayon shavings to make a sample of the rock cycle.  We shaved three colors of crayons, making a layered pile of blue, orange and yellow.  Then we used an iron to heat the "rock" layers and partially melt them.  Then we took the partially melted rock and put it in the oven and completely melted the rock, changing it to a liquid swirl of color.  As we read the chapter and did the workbook, the liquid hardened again, making a new "rock".  It was an easy, fun way to understand the cycle that the rocks go through and I have to admit, I had never heard of a rock cycle before and now I know.  

Tomorrow I think I will take advantage of an integrated lesson with the preschoolers and my son and watch the Magic School Bus video about rocks and erosion.  The girls absolutely love the MSB and so does my son and he learns a lot from them.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Last Week

Changes, COVID and Career