Sisters

My sisters, Kathy and Debbie, are much older than me.  When I was born I believe they were fifteen and seventeen, not unlike my own family.  When I was younger, my sister Kathy helped to raise me alongside her own daughters.  I always considered her a second mother and so it was until I was much older and we became friends.  My sister Debbie, however, was always my friend.  From my earliest memories spending time with her she treated me like her sister, someone who was a partner in the adventures of life.  This isn't to say one was better than the other, they were just very different relationships.

I can remember back to when I was about 10 or 11 and my sister Debbie had her first child, my nephew Jeff.  I remember my mother being adamant that I was too young to hold him and definitely too young to watch him, but my sister had all this confidence in me and trusted me to hold my nephew and even babysit, with my father there for support.  I loved being at her house!  We always made good things to eat, played with the kids and talked long into the night.  I learned alot about what it was like to raise a family and I formed strong opinions about what I wanted for my family when I was grown up.  After my niece was born and I was a teenager, being at my sister's was one of my favorite places to be.  She lived in Sykesville by then, a rural area about 40 minutes from my house, and it always felt special to be there.  My niece and nephew were adorable and we had a very close relationship.  I don't ever remember being there that I wasn't comfortable and having a good time.  I treasured my conversations with my sister and I felt so grown up and like what I said really mattered, something all teenagers wish for.

Fast forward many years....My niece and nephew are in their 30's.  My children, especially my daughteres, spent many nights at Aunt Debs over the years and it was always a special treat for them, as well.  Now they are in their 20's and going to Aunt Deb's is still something to look forward to.  My sister and I are both grandparents now and my seven year old son and her six year old granddaughter spent many days together playing and we took many trips with them, doing fun activities and enjoying our time together.  We don't get to see one another as much as we used to..  She is working almost full time and I am still busy raising my son and helping to raise my granddaughter.  Occasionally, however, like tonight, she and I carve out time together, going to the Cheesecake Factory and having dinner.  I still enjoy our conversations just as much and there is a mutual respect there that is bred from years of watching each other navigate life and come out stronger on the other side.  We talk about our children and their children, our husbands, our jobs and our personal lives.  We share good food, luscious cheesecake and a cup of coffee.  We linger a little too long and then take our conversation outside.  It's late and we are both tired, but we both resist ending the night, not knowing when our crazy schedules will allow us to do this again.  We hug goodbye and then stop and talk some more.  Finally parting ways I sigh, wondering why we don't do this more often.  We are both sporting gray hair, nicely dyed and talk of needing reading glasses to see the menu.  I feel our age catching up to us.  I worry that we will keep putting things off and our time to spend together will slip away.

Deb, I don't know if you read this blog, but if you do, I hope you know how much I love and admire you.  Thank you for always treating me like a friend and for sharing your life with me.  I am often told I am a good mother who is caring and creative.  I often tell the one who gives the compliment that I patterned my self after you.  You are an awesome mother and grandmother and you have always been the very best sister.  Let's get together more often and not wait so long.  Let's make every day count.  We are worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week

Senior Year

Changes, COVID and Career