Bustling into October

This week we found ourselves into the month of October and, while I feel we are "behind" in our studies as far as where I had hoped to be at this point, Dakota and I are not feeling stressed or burned out during our school hours and that's a positive thing.  We had to do some cramming to get in Monday's work after having to drop Brian David off at college in the morning, but Tuesday we enjoyed a lazy day at home, using this week to finish up our Space unit, making a poster and a mobile of the planets.  Dakota finished his Magic Tree House book and today started independently reading Magic School Bus Space Explorers and filling out a book report form along with it.  We read under the blankets for awhile and my heart warmed me more than the blanket when Dakota said he hoped we would spend alot of time reading under the covers this winter.

Nothing else stands out in my mind as noteworthy, but we did have a good day.  Today was our co-op meeting and it was my turn to teach.  I taught the kids about Katsushika Hokusai, a 1700's artist who specialized in block printing and calligraphy.  The kids practiced their Chinese characters and then we used styrofoam squares and ink pens to gauge our a Chinese character into the square.  We lightly painted over the top and then stamped it onto the paper.  I was surprised at how much the kids enjoyed it, both the 8-11 group and the 5-7 group.  They did well with the skills and made many stamps on their papers and I thoroughly enjoyed myself as their instructor.

And as more proof that Dakota is growing up, I had to drop him off at home with my daughter as soon as co-op was over to go to a doctor's appointment and I had left the Space Explorers book and report and a www.schoolexpress.com packet on Autumn for him to do and when I returned a short time later, they were finished and he was working on creating his own comic book!  Wow!  What a difference a year makes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Changes, COVID and Career

Last Week