The First Week Of Autumn

This week the heat disappeared and cool mornings and evenings and glorious afternoons replaced it.  It has hovered in the low 70's with blue skies and clear air.  I have spent less time on the deck than I would have liked, but I have enjoyed my time at home very much.  Our truck was down again and we had three drivers and one car, so I was the odd man out, staying home every day but today, when my daughter took us to co-op.  I actually wish it could be this way every week.  I love my home and being here during the day.  I love homeschooling and working on the deck, hearing my granddaughter chatter as she plays, putting her down for a nap with a light blanket over her to keep off the chill.  My son has been working well and getting finished before 2, sometimes as early as noon, and this has been a welcome change.

This week we started delving into Ancient Greece.  We are reading the Magic Tree House Hour of the Olympics in Literature, doing Greek Myths and reading about Ancient Greece in Chapter 20 of Story of the World.  We are talking about matter in science, reviewing Rule 2 of the Essential 55 and we did the seven days of Creation, reading them from the primary Bible and doing 2 crafts to go with the story, a creation wheel and a decoupage Earth.  I am hoping that we are finally past the review in math and football is still our main physical education activity.

Today we had co-op and I had my son's group first.  We talked about the Autumnal Equinox and did a glyph and a word search.  Then I read them "Autumn Fires", a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson, and we talked about it and answered a few questions.  Then we learned about the pattern of the poem, which was ABCB.  We then did an acrostic for Autumn Bonfires and then the kids were given paper with room for illustrations and told to write their own fall poem and draw a picture to go with it.  Our last activity was a Hello, Goodbye paper as in Hello Pumpkins!  Goodbye Swimming!

Tomorrow we are doing our spelling test, independent reading, math and then diving into an Ancient Greece theme day.  We are going to read our myths book about Zeus, read some of the MTH book and then do some fun activities from a book I have on Ancient Greece.  I hope we can do a few crafts and maybe have time to watch Percy Jackson.

Next week will be a short week since my daughter is being induced at 6am Monday morning.  I am leaving work here for Dakota on Monday to do independently while his grandmother is here, but I am thinking we will go to see the new baby on Tuesday and I will be tired and I will have my two year old granddaughter for two days and she will be a bit out of sorts.  I am really looking forward to this second little granddaughter of mine.  The first  one has brought such joy to my life.  She is an ornery little devil, but a cuddle bug and a lovey and she brightens my every day.  I feel very blessed to be such a big part of her life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Last Week

Changes, COVID and Career