Kindness Never Hurts

Lately I have been having alot of talks with my nine year old about kindness.  It seems that he lacked kindness at co-op last week and someone noticed and told me.  He was made to apologize, but it has brought up the fact that too many people in our life and in the world in general are just not kind.  And why not?  It never, ever hurts to be kind, but a lack of kindness can hurt someone deeply.  In my opinion, there is rarely if ever a reason to be downright rude and nasty to someone.  "Kill them with kindness" is more my style and I want my youngest son to practice what I preach.

I have three grown children and I am proud to say that they are all kind.  Each one of them can be trusted to say what's on their mind from time to time, but they are all well mannered, polite and kind adults.  My little son....well, he is the hot tempered one.  That is no excuse, however, to vent on someone else.

I have taken it upon myself, as a veteran home educator and parent, to use the cruelty, rudeness and lack or respect that seems to surround us so often and turn it into a life lesson.  Besides just talking about kindness, I try to mirror the way I want him to behave.  Today we chose to surprise a friend who had a tough time on her birthday last weekend.  Her family didn't remember and she is always such a giving, thoughtful person and really deserved some love.  Another friend and I hatched a plan and I let Dakota in on the secret.  He and I made a batch of "brownie cakes" (cupcakes made with brownie mix) and our other friend bought a flower and a balloon.  My oldest daughter brought the decorations and we hid them in a spare room at co-op today and after the classes were over we rounded up her kids and ours, hid them in the room and surprised her with an impromptu celebration.  She was touched and the kids were excited and I felt really, really good.  Dakota brought it up on our way to our next destination about how he felt this was such a kind thing to do.....yes!  Bingo!  You are getting it!

Our next stop was to my mother and stepfather's house.  It was my stepfather's birthday and my mother just had surgery two days ago and was home recuperating. Dakota and I baked my stepfather a pumpkin pie and placed a candle in it.  We surprised him with the pie and a song and then he and Dakota chatted and had pie while I curled up on the bed next to my mom for 30 minutes and had a nice, relaxed visit.  It was nothing fancy, but I think when we left, my mom felt a wee bit better for the company and my stepfather was tickled to have a pie for himself.

Today's lesson on kindness was easy.  It didn't take much time.  It didn't cost much money.  It DID have a positive impact on the lives of three very special people.  I am calling today a success, both for me and for my little man, who is watching every move I make as he walks his own path to adulthood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week

Senior Year

Changes, COVID and Career