She's here!

Time has gotten away from me again, but for good reason this time!  On September 30th at 10:01pm my daughter gave birth to my second granddaughter, Rebecca Leigh.  She weighed 7lbs, 5oz and was 20 1/2 inches long.  She had wide eyes, a head full of brown, soft hair and an incredibly pink color.

My daughter was induced in the morning, but Rebecca had other plans.  By evening, it was clear that things were not progressing as they should and by 9pm my daughter's doctor decided to take the next step and do a c-section.  It was scary for my daughter, but she handled it with grace.  I am surprised it didn't stress me more, but I guess after four of my own, I knew what she'd experience and thought she would be fine.

I knew the nurse on duty in the OB OR and she bent the rules so I could go back in recovery and wait for the birth.  I could see the doctor's and nurses' heads through the window in the door, but not my daughter or son in law.  As I waited anxiously, watching the clock, I was able to hear her first cry.  They cleaned her up and the nurse held her up for me to see.  After my son in law got to hold her and they put her against my daughter's face, they brought her to me and I got to hold my second granddaughter in my arms just minutes after her birth.  She was a gorgeous baby and she was wide awake and staring at me, just like she does now, two weeks after her birth. I held her and cooed to her and talked to her because I knew that my daughter had so wanted those first minutes to bond with her and couldn't, so I stepped in and did the best I could, telling Becca all about her mommy and how much she loved her.

They brought my daughter out and she was in a fog, not really with it, but we took the baby to her and let her try to hold her.  I told her I would be there with the baby til she went to sleep, but 2 hours later, my son in law and daughter were napping and baby Becca was still wide eyed!  She didn't cry, just looked all around.  After taking probably 100 pictures, I finally gave up about midnight and left her in the care of the nurses so I could get some sleep.

The next morning I went to get my older granddaughter, Natalie, and she and I, her Poppy and her Uncle Dakota went to the hospital to introduce the sisters to one another.  Natalie is only 2 years and 4 months so she was a little rough and impatient, but she claimed she loved her new sister and with some quick camera work, we were able to get a few great pictures for our memory books.  Uncle Koda was in love once again, smitten by the second baby girl he has become an uncle too.  The worst part of the day, though, was taking Natalie home with us.  She couldn't understand why Mommy couldn't come home and didn't want to leave and that poor baby sobbed and called for her mommy all the way down to the car.  I kept her with me at home for three days and we didn't go visit again.  It was just too hard on her.  She would play fine and then remember, I guess, and sob and sob and then get angry and kick and throw things.  I was very, very grateful to finally get to take her home, but with my daughter having surgery, she still needed help and I got over there every chance I could for the next week to help her and snuggle my precious little princess.  God has truly blessed me yet again.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week

Senior Year

Changes, COVID and Career