London 2012

Today I had all three of my "daycampers" so we pulled out all the stops in our Olympic fun.  After some morning free time where they made bead creatures for me to iron they had breakfast and then did a fun Olympics booklet from www.enchantedlearning.com together then headed outside to have a friendly game of croquet.  When they came inside we got out our plain tshirts, acrylic paint and tp rolls and they had fun making Olympic shirts with the rings and London 2012 (done by me) on them to wear this afternoon for our craft store "field trip".   The shirts were super easy and they turned out great.  The kids couldn't stop saying "cool!" and I deemed it a success!

Fun in the pool came next while I grabbed some quiet time to make up their Olympic medal board pieces for this afternoon then out to the picnic table where they enjoyed Go For the Gold Mac N Cheese and USA Brownies, hand decorated with icing and red, white and blue sugars and stars.  When we finished lunch we packed everything up, put on our now dry Olympic Tshirts and went to AC Moore's free craft time to make duct tape medals, not the best craft they had ever offered and the lady who was supposed to be in charge and help us called out and left someone there who had no idea how to make the craft.  We muddled through and headed back home where the kids worked on coloring flags from various countries to make their own Medal Boards to keep track of the number of gold medals each country earned over the course of the Olympic Summer Games.  I have seen this done two ways.  The first, which is the way I chose, is to put the flags in rows on tag board and then cut small packets of post it notes to put next to each flag.  As the country  finishes the day's sports you can add yesterday's medals to today's medals, pull off the top post it note and put the new number of gold medals in it's place.  We did nine countries, having at least one country representing each of the continents that are participating and for which the five rings represent (Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia).  Another way that I saw on www.enchantedhomeschoolingmom.blogspot.com is to put up the names of the continents around the house and then, as a country from that continent medals, put a star underneath.  If I were only doing this with my son I think I would have used the bulletin board, put about six countries to represent, and then made rows for all three medals for each country.  Having the daycamp kids, I wanted something more portable so they could take theirs home with them.







So now it's 3:40 and my daycamp fun is coming to an end.  I am tired, but I know that the kids had a fun day and they may have learned something in the process.  They are back to making beads and watching their "Movie of the Day", which is Jumanji today.  The two "campers" have never seen it so I think that they will probably sit still and watch since it's so exciting and a bit crazy.  The rest of my day consists of an early dinner so my oldest son can eat before leaving for work and then heading out to the Oriole game tonight with my husband, little son, mother in law and neighbor.  It's absolutely gorgeous outside today and I'm looking forward to a pleasant weather night and a good game for the Birds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Last Week

Changes, COVID and Career