Dr. Seuss Fun

 I am a huge Dr. Seuss fan and I love to have fun with all the craziness that his books present to us.  Yesterday I read The Cat in the Hat to the two year olds in my life and we made adorable paper plate masks.  Today I taught Dr. Seuss at my co-op for the 5-9 year olds.  I talked to them about who Dr. Seuss was and the process he used to write his books.  We read Green Eggs and Ham, with the kids shouting out the rhymes, and talked about how Dr. Seuss only used 50 words to write the whole book.  We read There's A Wocket In My Pocket and created our own creatures using our imagination.  We tried to do all kinds of silly things like rolling our tongue, wiggling our ears, barking like a dog etc and then we tried to do them all with a book balanced on our head.  Then we tried to say the alphabet backwards...a much tougher task than I originally imagined. 

After we settled back down, we talked about character traits and wrote a short blurb as a reflection of ourselves before putting away our work and playing a game of Drs. Seuss bingo.  Bingo is always a warmly received activity with these kids and the game went very quickly, with each of them winning eventually and getting to pick a quirky prize.  For the big finale, I let them watch the Cat in the Hat movie.  They enjoyed the downtime and so did I!

Tomorrow, I think, the little ones and I will tackle If I Ran A Zoo, since the zoo animals I brought up from the basement are such a hit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, COVID and Career

Senior Year

Last Week