Just When I Thought .....

Just when I thought things couldn't get any busier, once again they did!  We are officially finished with our "lazy" months of winter and I believe (and hope) that we just had our last official snow day of this cold, wet winter.  Schedules have been way off and schools have been closed for at least a day almost every week since Christmas. 

Monday started out another snowy week and I only had one baby for daycare, a new little nine month old boy.  It was nice that my husband and I got to hang out in the livingroom working and watching him, all of us getting to know one another in a relatively quiet house.  I gave my homeschooler his snow day off and told him to be prepared for a busy Tuesday.

Tuesday dawned extremely icy and once again, schools were closed.  I did have the 9 month old, but he came late.  My own son was up and dressed and ready for school by 9am.  We did his morning work, took his spelling pre-test and got math out of the way.  Then we worked on letter writing skills and filling out envelopes as we wrote one form letter that we copied 30 times to send to each one of the baseball teams in Major League Baseball.  Our hope is that by letting them know we are studying baseball for the month of March that they will send us information and goodies in the mail.  I have done this with my older son with wonderful results. 

After we finished stuffing and stamping our letters and taking them out to the mailbox, we got started on our unit study.  It is called Baseball and it's by Amanda Bennett.  She comes up with fun, family oriented unit studies that she sells inexpensively on her site.  I highly recommend that you take a look and consider one for your family.

We got started and using our Baseball Journal, which is a spiral notebook, my son copied the quote of the day and then looked up the vocabulary words of the day in the dictionary.  This is great practice!  Afterward, I let my son do the first half independently, clicking on the links provided by the site to answer questions about Babe Ruth.  We have learned a great deal about our hometown boy already, so this was very easy for him.  When he was through, we sat together with my computer and learned about the Arizona Diamondbacks organization, answering questions about Opening Day, their mascot and their venue. 

When we had finished our unit study for the day, we stayed on the computer a bit and watched a few Youtube videos about the making of pencils and erasers.  When my son has questions about how things are made, I have found that the videos we find there are interesting, short and educational. 

My daughter dropped in to visit and I decided my homeschooler had accomplished enough for the day.  He went in to play while she and I visited after she put my granddaughters in for a nap.  We are opening a licensed daycare together this summer and we have an endless supply of ideas to share. 

Around 5pm, everyone had gone home and my husband had gone off for his night at college.  I relaxed a bit, made dinner for the boys and watched Parental Guidance with my little son.  I love how this movie is comical, but so heartwarming.  My husband and I turned in early, knowing that Wednesday would be busy and there were not going to be any delays to our day this time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Last Week

Changes, COVID and Career