Two Ones

Today I had the pleasure of being responsible for two one year old boys.  The little one just celebrated his first birthday and the older one is only two months from being two.  They were totally different, but so much alike!  First, these are the cutest two little boys you will ever meet.  One with dark hair and eyes and olive skin and the other fair with blond hair and blue eyes.  When God was handing out looks, these two little guys got an extra dose!  Second, they love to eat!  The older of the two would say "Eat! Eat!" and the younger knew he was going to get in on this action too!  There were crackers, cookies, applesauce, more crackers...  Third, they were busy!  Oh my gosh!  They had so much energy!  I was in the playroom with them watching them learn to play together and making suggestions, giving out hugs, changing diapers and doling out the snacks.  They were in and out and up and on and under and over and through.  They rode little motorcycles and played in the little houses.  They slid down the slide over and over and over.  They stole each other's sippy cups and blankets and toys.  They sat down and had snacks.  They colored.  They played with sensory bags made out with shaving cream.  They had more snacks.  They slid some more.  I looked at my phone, sure it was time to get them lunch... and it was 9:18 am! 

Another hour passed and the younger was ready for a nap and then another hour and the older was ready.  I was ready too!!  The older slept for one blessed hour and then they were both awake and energized and off to the races again.  We had lunch, changed diapers and put on little shoes, gathered sippy cups and got in car seats, off to the library for a fun program.  Except I had the wrong day.  My daughter and her four little ones met us there.  So we decided to let them play.  Not long after a gentleman on the computers started acting agitated, yelling and waving his arms.  The librarians tried to calm him but he was becoming more agitated.  My daughter and I had already instinctively brought the seven children between the two of us closer.  We shared a look and I told her I was feeling uncomfortable.  She agreed.  So we quickly scooped up the little ones and gathered the older ones and left our books behind, leaving the library just as the police arrived. 

All this chaos left the children unhappy because their playtime ended abruptly so I told them I would treat to ice cream at McDonalds.  We buckled everyone in car seats and headed to a nearby McDonalds.  We unloaded these seven children, the youngest just 7 weeks old and the oldest just 8 years old, and got them into McDonalds and took their ice cream requests.  And then found out the ice cream machine was broken.  UGH.  Back into the car seats they went and down the road to the next McDonalds and we finally got them their ice cream.  By this time the older one year old was picked up by mom and dad so we were down to six.  It was after 3:00 and this Nana/caretaker was done.  Two long hours later and I was on to the weekend!

Pizza was the theme for dinner for my teenager and I and I am now happily in my pjs, surfing on my computer and watching Dead Files, my favorite show.  I am VERY grateful it is the weekend!  I love having children in my home every day and I loved my time with my little one year olds today, but I am also loving that it is the weekend and I will need the entire time to regroup so that I can be ready to care for little people again come Monday morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Last Week

Changes, COVID and Career