My family is fun!

I take pride in the fact that my family loves to be together.  I know some families grow up and go their own way, but mine is close and we really enjoy each other.  I got to spend the afternoon with my younger daughter and she and my granddaughter, who don't get to spend too much time together, really had fun playing.  It also gave me the opportunity to work a little.  She had to leave around 5, but then my oldest daughter was there and she and the baby had dinner with us.  Afterward we all left the dinner mess on the table, grabbed the dogs, the kids, the teen and the baseball stuff and headed over to the park to play.  We were up there for a couple of hours and we got dirty, got silly and had fun.  Afterward we all headed to the snowball stand for a nice treat.

Yesterday, early in the day, we had our spring celebration at our co-op.  For many years I ran parties and it was so much work.  I have finally figured out, as my friend said yesterday, that "many hands make light work".  She is so right!  Our parties now consist of each family manning their own table and setting up activities within the theme.  For this spring celebration, each family chose a holiday or theme from March or April to use for their table.  We had astronomy, gardening, butterflies, Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's Day, Earth Day, Dr. Seuss, Easter and spring.  The group of kids we have are amazing and need very little supervision, so we turned them loose to start at a station and gave them 90 minutes to visit each one.  They did great and they ended up with Mardi Gras masks, Truffula Trees, shamrocks, earth crafts, clothespin butterflies, glow in the dark star patterns and potato heads made with garden dirt.  Clean up was easy because this group of moms are as wonderful as their children and they all pitch in, put the tables away, sweep up and realign the chairs.  I love them!

Today we are going to have a regular homeschool day, starting with reading of library books and a viewing of the cartoon version of the Lorax, followed by a discussion of the similarities and differences to the new movie.  I have a "Draw the Lorax" paper and a coloring paper to do as well.  Dakota liked that he could do all these things from his dad's recliner under a blanket :-)  Sticking with the blanket theme :-) we snuggled together and read 3 1/2 chapters of our Magic Tree House book, Monday with a Mad Genius.  This one is all about Leonardo da Vinci and we are going to be doing our Meet the Masters unit on him to expand our knowledge.  This one is a great book, very fast moving and fun, and we are loving it.

The rest of the day was a blur of chaos.  I got a call from work that things needed to be due in to the office by email asap, but they weren't transcribed.  I got Dakota started on Math after his lunch break, but he wouldn't stay at the table working by himself.  He wanted my attention.  And Natalie wanted my attention.  Needless to say, I was grumpy, they were grumpy and my work barely made the deadline.

When Kris got home from work she stayed for dinner and things evened out.  I love spending time with her.  We took Natalie and went to the thrift store for an hour.  It wasn't anything much, but we always laugh together, enjoying our friendship and our bond with the baby.  I am so glad she is living here again.  My life would have had such a huge hole in it if she and Natalie weren't a daily presence.  It is so wonderful when your daughters become your friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, COVID and Career

Last Week

Senior Year