Election Day

Life has been anything but normal for us here at our house throughout October, but we have weathered the storm and are coming through on the other side.  I am getting back to my normal routine and that includes our daily, or close to daily, homeschool/family life blog.  I have missed it!  Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.  Leave a comment or two now and then.  They really make my day!  Cindy

Yesterday and today I had hoped to get a full, focused day of homeschooling in since I didn't have my granddaughter, but I forgot that if my daughter is off work, that means the neighbor kids are off too!  Dakota was willing to give me a half day of focus both days, but by lunchtime he really wanted to be free to go outside and play, and I couldn't blame him.  Both days, however, we got a great deal done in three hours.  It makes me think that we may start to do all our "important" things in the morning and start saving the afternoons for videos, arts and crafts or science experiments.

Today we did a quick "daily prep", minus the journal.  That includes a folder with a few charts and an activity, cursive practice, a small language arts activity and usually a "Today's Special", but our special today was the election.  We worked the regular spelling and math, finished our www.Schoolexpress.com Volcanoes packet, finished reading our Magic Tree House book Vacation Under the Volcano and did the story map activities that went along with that.  We didn't get to our Story of the World history, but we read a Scholastic News magazine for Social Studies that gave lots of interesting information about Obama and Romney, including what they were doing as a child about Dakota's age.  We made a cute election craft that included a paragraph on what a good president should do (in the eyes of an eight year old) and then were ready at noon to go to the firehouse a few streets over to cast our vote.  There wasn't a line and Dakota was able to go right up with me and see what it is like to be an American, living in a democracy.  We had a good conversation about why I voted for who I did and why I didn't vote for the other candidate.

He's out playing now on this sunny, crisp fall day, but later tonight we will go over the information on the Washington Post site (http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/kidspost/2012-election-night-coloring-in-the-electoral-college-map/2012/11/01/2f128b1c-170d-11e2-9855-71f2b202721b_story.html) that has a wonderful electoral college map and tally prnitouts and we will follow the results until bedtime, picking up in the morning to see who will be our next president.  I know that he is young, but I hope that he walks away with a better understanding of how our country chooses our elected officials and has more of an interest about the choices being made by the man who will be responsible for running our country until Dakota is almost a teenager.  Wow, that's a scary thought!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Last Week

Changes, COVID and Career