Starry Night

Yesterday we did a little school work in the morning, finished up the chores and packed up the truck.  At noon Daddy, Dakota and I headed off to swimming and by 1:30 we were on our way to pick up Brian David in Towson and head to Jellystone in Hagerstown for our cabin camping weekend.  We got here about 4:30 and the guys unloaded while I put things away, then they made a fire while I made dinner.  After spaghetti in the cabin, we sat around the campfire and took in the stars.  They were truly gorgeous.  The sky was incredibly clear and it was brisk outside.  There was no wind and the inky blackness was a beautiful background to the stars, which were so bright they seemed unreal.  The brightest ones looked painted in the sky and then if you kept looking you could see the really distant clusters, pinpoints of light unimaginably far away.  We watched for falling stars because there are supposed to be meteor showers this weekend, but weren't fortunate enough to see any.  Brian David set his alarm for 4am and when it went off, I was the only one who got up.  I put in my contacts and put on my coat and went outside and the view was breathtaking.  I just don't think I will every forget it, but already, sitting here as the sun comes up, I know I also will never be able to remember just how gorgeous they were.  When I looked northeast the Big Dipper was there, seeming to take up the entire sky.  Dakota is always trying to find that so I went in and woke him, put on his fuzzy jacket and took him outside.  I am so glad I did.  He was amazed!  It didn't take him long to want to go back in where the electric fireplace was keeping things warm and cozy, but I stayed awhile, taking it all in.  When my husband got up at 5:15 to go in to work for a few hours he and I stood together and watched for a bit.  God sure was working overtime!  Today I am thankful for a starry night's sky and a memory I hope I can hang onto forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Last Week

Changes, COVID and Career