Feeling Like Home

I have been blessed to be a part of a wonderful church for the last fifteen years or so that has welcomed me and my sons whenever we are there, even though my attendance isn't regular.  I started going there when my oldest son was little and he wanted to go with a friend to the VBS.  We then attended Sunday School on occasion and he even was a part of the youth group for awhile.  We were not regulars by any means, but the welcome was warm, nonetheless.  When that son got older and the little son was coming up I vowed to have him "grow up in the church" but other than mostly regular attendance at Sunday School and an occasional extra activity, we are still only semi-regular members, although our faces are recognized by most. Dakota was baptized there two or three years ago and not long after we got a new pastor and I had the pleasure of meeting him.  My first thought, in all honesty, was "there can't be anyone that nice!"  I thought it was a show....something to reel people in and then he would change and be less than the dynamic man that he is.  Fortunately, I was very wrong.  Our pastor is funny, smart, wise, outgoing, friendly, loving, accepting and witty.  He leads by letting others lead with him.  He  gives out hugs.  He always says hello.  And when he says he is glad to meet you or he is glad you are there, he really, truly means it!  He says he was a firefighter and God called him to this job about eight years ago and I believe him.  While I am sure he made a great fireman, we needed him more at Ferndale United Methodist Church.

This fall I had a crisis in my personal life and I asked to have a private meeting with him.  I will never forget the kindness he showed to me.  He listened mostly, read to me a few passages from the Bible and told me the truth about what he thought after listening.  And then he backed off.  When he saw me he always asked how I was and how things were going.  He waits for me to answer.  I know that if I said "Pastor Mike I need you" that he would drop everything and listen.  I haven't had to do that, but it's nice knowing that he is always there.

One of my New Year's resolutions was to be more of an active member at this church with Dakota. I feel that my son is at a point in his young life where he  is looking to see who he wants to be and what is really important.  I want him to look at the people in this church and at our pastor and relate to them and know that they are good people in a good place.  I want him to feel as if he belongs there and when the world gets to be too much sometimes I want him to feel as if he can go there and find the guidance he needs to make the right choices.

This morning we put of our Ravens gear and headed out to drop him off at Sunday School.  He hadn't been in months due to our family's personal issues and recovery. We were, of course, welcomed with open arms.  As I left, I walked through the sanctuary to get a program and the church was empty, but music was playing and everything was set up for the service and I felt the draw, the little voice in my head saying "you belong here".  I made alot of excuses as I ran my errands.  I had alot to do.  The Ravens game was coming on.  I had PCA work to do.  On and on.  I got to church early to get Dakota and sat in the car reading for a few minutes.  Somehow time got away from me and I realized I was running late to get him.  When I got into the classroom they were gone and I knew I had to pick him up at the sanctuary.  I walked in and he put on his coat and was ready to go and I just couldn't.  I wanted to be there.  I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself and I wanted him there with me.  So we stayed.  He wasn't happy at all at first.  He had things to do!  He wanted to play!  He wanted to go to his friends' house!  He was tired!  I stayed calm and told him that this was what I needed to do for me and I wanted to do for him.  And we stayed.

After a few minutes of pouting he came around.  We prayed and we sang.  Pastor Mike called up the children for their time and acted silly and Dakota added a comment that had the congregation laughing.  He went off to children's church and I got to sit among many other Ravens fans and listen to Pastor Mike make us laugh and make us think.  He is wonderful at what he does and I kept feeling this sense of peace that told me I was doing the right thing.  When Dakota came back in we sat together.  We took communion.  We shared looks and smiles.  We prayed together.  Afterward we talked together about meaningful things.  I was impressed by his thought process and the kindness in his heart. He said he was looking forward to being a teenager at this church and being able to help there.  He said he wanted to be a part of that group.  I knew then that I was making a good choice for the two of us.  The best thing he said was "Mom, I know another place that Jesus lives".  I thought he was talking about another church, but no, he pointed to the center of his little eight year old chest and said "Right here.  Jesus lives in my heart".  Yes, Dakota, he does and I promise you that even though you may resist at times, I am going to make sure that you know where Jesus lives and that you are surrounded by the kind people who love you at FUMC.  The world is a difficult place and as a child he is bombarded by alot of information that sends the wrong message.  The very least I can do for him is give him a safe haven from the chaos that the world rains down on us.  I can give him another home where Jesus lives and where we visit often and help to make our lives and the lives of others a better place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Last Week

Changes, COVID and Career