Happy First Birthday, Rebecca Leigh!

Today my littlest granddaughter (so far!) turned one!  She is a wonderfully sweet little girl, full of giggles and smiles, who adores her mommy and who just started walking a few weeks ago.  She is the spitting image of her mom and a joy to everyone who knows her and she is the light in this Nana's eyes, along with her big sister.

On September 30, 2013 we spent the day in labor and delivery with my daughter and son in law, hoping for a natural birth, but by evening we realized Rebecca was wedged up against my daughter's pelvic bone and was not coming down.  The started the prep for a c-section and one of the OR nurses happened to be a girl I went to school with.  As it was late and there wasn't too much going on, she allowed me to go down to the area just outside the operating room so I could be as close as possible without being IN there.  My daughter and my son in law disappeared behind the doors and I could see in the room, but only the doctor's heads.  At 10:01 I heard the cry and the nurse held and wet and slimy little girl up to the window for me to see.  Just a few minutes later she appeared, clean and swaddled, and the nurse put her in my arms while they finished up with my daughter.

Rebecca Leigh Brown, 6lbs, 5 oz, was alert and gorgeous.  We do make pretty babies in this family, if I do say so myself.  She was a good color, plump and fully formed, wide awake and looking all around.  I stayed with her for two hours while her mom rested and dad made the phone calls to the family.  She and I got to know one another and I told her how much her mommy loved her and wanted to be with her right that second, but was in recovery so her Nana would stand in until mommy was better.  That little girl stayed awake the ENTIRE two hours I was there, well past midnight when I had to finally admit defeat and head home to my own little son.

When I came back the next day, the entire family got to meet her.  I brought big sister Natalie with me, as well as Uncle Dakota, Uncle "Gee" and Poppy.  We all got to hold her and love her and welcome to our lives.

Today we had cupcakes, streamers and a happy birthday song.  We will have a family party on Sunday.  Happy Birthday, sweet little Rebecca!  Nana loves you so very much and I can't wait for all the adventures we will share as you grow up!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Last Week

Changes, COVID and Career