Busy Saturday

Today was busy from start to finish.  I got up and got some laundry and chores done and then headed out to Dakota's baseball game.  It was a beautiful morning for it, but my frustration level was high today.  The kids weren't really into the game, dragging about everything, and Dakota, of course, was being...well...Dakota.   I tried to stay out of things as much as possible and just keep score.  On the way home, however, Dakota wanted to know if he was ready for metro ball next year.  I could blow smoke up the kids bottom if I wanted, but I was honest, telling him that metro kids give 110% all the time during games and practice and they don't sass and talk back to their coaches.  He seemed a bit wounded, but the fact is, he's a lazy ball player and I can't really relate to that.  He's got the skills and the body for it, but he feels that he can just drag around, halfheartedly making attempts and still play metro caliber ball.  That isn't happening.  It just isn't.

After ball my husband had to leave to go into work until tomorrow so we had a quick lunch and then I got started on the yard and deck chores while the boys did their thing.  I squirted, cleaned up and rearranged.  Kris and Natalie came over about 4 and then my niece and great niece and nephew came over around 6:30.  We ordered dinner, made ourselves comfy on the deck and had a wonderful night chatting under my very cool deck lights :-) and enjoying the gorgeous weather while the kids jumped and bounced and ran and played.  I love talking to my daughter and niece together.  They are such intelligent women and the topic is almost always education and children, which is what I like to talk about most.  It's hard to believe sometimes that this beautiful woman, mother of two and special education teacher, is my sweet little niece whom I used to carry around and babysit when she was little.  It's amazing how time allows them to catch up and we can enjoy an adult relationship together.  It's also very unusual that all all three of us, my niece, my oldest daughter and I, are raising young children together.  Dakota was such a blessing in that way (among others).  He gave me a connection with so many people that I wouldn't have had otherwise, being a mom to three adult children.

Tomorrow is the big day.  Forty people are coming to the house to celebrate the first birthday of my sweet little granddaughter.  Lots accomplished, but so much more to do.  I guess it will be an early start tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, COVID and Career

Senior Year

Last Week