Turning One

Sunday our friends and family gathered here at my house to celebrate the first birthday of my little granddaughter, Natalie Ann.  It was a glorious day, sunny skies, a breeze and perfect temperatures.  My daughters arrived to help around noon and we put the baby down for a nap so she would be fresh for her company.  She woke right on schedule as the guests were arriving and my daughter dressed her in an adorable print dress that was perfect for her sweet baby rolls and bright blue eyes.  She had grandmoms and grandpas, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends to give her attention and she was the perfect little angel.  She played nicely in the bounce house and in the little play yard Kris and I created out of our two individual ones.  There was lots of good food and about 4:30 we got her settled in her high chair and brought out the single large cupcake cake with buttercream icing and sang Happy Birthday to my littlest love.  My daughter placed the cupcake in front of her and at first she wasn't sure what to do, poking at it and licking her fingers.  Soon enough, she discovered that she could bury her whole face in it and priceless memories were made as she hugged the whole cake close to herself and licked away at the icing, getting it all over her face and up her little nose.  We let her go at it for quite awhile and I was very surprised that when we took it away, she didn't even cry.  My daughter, my mother and I got napkins and wash clothes and in 10 seconds she was squeaky clean and I'm not sure she even knew what hit her!














The rest of the afternoon was spent opening presents and playing with friends.  She was getting tired, but she hung in there, giving everyone love and attention and not crying at all.  When everyone had gone home except for her mom and dad and cousins Chris and Nicole, the adults decided to order crabs and keep a nice night going.  Poor little birthday girl was overdone by that point, however, and the slow melt down began. She couldn't fall asleep in our crib and she went from my arms to her momma to cousin Nicole's over and over until she finally gave up, laying on my chest, giggling softly at my silliness and letting me cherish the moment with her, this sweet little angel who has made my world so much brighter.  She is a blessing and a wonder, that's for sure, and I am a thankful Nana that she is mine to love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, COVID and Career

Senior Year

Last Week