Back to Normal

The last three weeks have been anything but normal here.  My husband has been off work due to two herniated discs and was bedridden and in intense pain for two of those weeks.  Our homeschooling has taken a hit and our family life has been all about snuggling under covers with dad, watching movies, going to the doctors, more snuggling under covers, lots of food, ice cream every night...  It was actually very much in sync with the cold February weather and has made for a lazy, relaxing time.

Dad is better now....and while I am very grateful for his restored health, I am a bit sad that after today I won't have any more excuses for mid day snuggles and movies and saying "family first, so no school today".  I miss our routine, but I will also miss our lack of structure.  I am thankful that I am a stay at home mom and that my son is homeschooled so we could be there for my husband without missing time or assignments and that tomorrow means a return of work for him.  I realize that I am blessed to be able to return to my work here at home, with my son by my side, still warm and cozy.  Homeschooling and homemaking are not something to be taken for granted and I know this. While I work from home and educating my son and keeping our home are work, as well, I am fully aware that my husband's job, his work ethic and his love for us allow me to be able to do these things, which I so love.  I have things in this world I may have liked to have tried.  I always wanted to be a teacher and have my own classroom.  I enjoyed my time working at a hospital years ago.  But I know in my heart and soul that I am not a career woman.  I belong at home.  I have been called Betty Crocker and Martha Stewart.  I embrace those comparisons.  All of the things that I do at home and have been doing for the past 28 years are what makes me who I am and I am happy being me.

So come on tomorrow.  I think I am ready.  Let routine and structure return.  I know my husband will enjoy being back at work and feeling productive and seeing his collegues and I will surely enjoy my own routine of homemaking and homeschooling.  As my husband says "that's the way we roll" and there are far worse ways to live your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week

Senior Year

Changes, COVID and Career