Interrupted by Illness

This week we had a good Monday and Tuesday, but Dakota ended up getting sick somewhere in the middle of the night/early morning on Wednesday and couldn't sleep, cried constantly, threw up once and was just miserable.  He was up early, slept for a few hours, managed to eat lunch and felt better.  I thought Thursday would get us on track because we now have a goal to finish our lessons and our texts by May 31, our last review day.  He got up sluggish, however, threw up again and then cried some more.  Back to bed he went to rest for the day and I didn't see much improvement in his energy level until late in the evening.  I decided to cancel a scheduled field trip to Frederick for Friday because I wasn't sure of his health and we also missed two days of school and I knew we needed to get things caught up.

 I spent the afternoon with my granddaughter on our deck under cloudless blue skies and then while one daughter kept the kids, the other daughter and I went to the thrift store and perused the books, games and toys in peace, scoring a great Step 2 toy chest and many cool books for homeschooling and to read.  Dinner was a late one, but Dakota managed to eat some chicken and I put him to bed hoping he would have a good night and kick whatever it was that has kept him down.

Friday saw a much better boy, though still a little tired.  We ran our errands early, spent a leisurely 45 minutes or so in the library getting books, visited the GameStop for some new games Dakota had saved his money for and then headed home.  We ate lunch and he read two of his Star Wars library books before taking his spelling test and then taking a pre-test and doing the workbook pages on the next unit.  We did Experiment #4 in his Magic School Bus science kit, did two math lessons in his book, one of adding fractions with like denominators and one on geometry, and finally read the first part of Chapter 17 in Story of the World about Nebucchadnezzer's madness.  We were done by 2:30 and he was ecstatic.  So now he's off in his room playing his games, I am here alone waiting on my Brian's to get home from Towson and then we will all spend the evening together, having pizza and relaxing.  Lots of PCA work for me to do and I also want to go through my library books and plan some for next week, the summer and the fall.  We have a ridiculously busy double sport Saturday again tomorrow and I know that we can definitely use the down time tonight before our early start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week

Senior Year

Changes, COVID and Career