Monday Once Again

So we are down to the last three Mondays of second grade.  Today we went to a new homeschool group to experience their Lego Lab and maybe a make a few new friends.  Dakota liked the building and the boys there and the moms were very welcoming and easy to talk to for me.  Natalie terrorized the place, but no one seemed to mind and I did my best to keep her from getting into things.  I am considering joining the group so we can take part in some of their events and classes, but haven't quite made up my mind.

When we got home, Dakota ate lunch and got started on his school work.  It's always harder to get him to focus in the afternoon and today was no different.  He started reading his Star Wars book on his own and then came out to do his morning work.  We took a spelling pre-test and he did the workbook pages that went along with that and then did his math.  Afterward, we opened our new Weather Station Magic School Bus Kit to get us started on the weather, working with our Weather Day/O's game field trip this week.  The first experiment was to make a weather vane and it was easy and actually seemed to work.  We moved on to his book review of Stuart Little and I found out, much to my surprise, that he actually liked the book quite a bit.  We then finished Chapter 18 in Story of the World, finding out what happened to the Minoan civilization on the island of Crete.

A new Magic Tree House book was the last organized lesson for the day.  I mostly read to him, but he read to me too.  This is #49 in the series, Stallion at Starlight, and it's about Alexander the Great, whom we should meet this week in Story of the World too.  I love when units and studies connect.  I think it makes the information stick even more.  After we were finished (no lesson plans on thisMTH one at www.edhelper.net because it was so new), I turned him loose to finish the LEGO maze and minotaur, his extension activity from this SOTW unit.  He's dragging his heels on that, as well, because he says the pieces keep falling apart, but I just gave him five minutes before I come in to take a picture.  Art was covered with the model.  PE will be covered at tonight's football practice.  So I guess that means we are finished for the day and I am glad we made it a full one AND added something new and fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, COVID and Career

Senior Year

Last Week