Easy Does It

Today was one of those days when life was getting to me, but once I shut those doors to the outside world and settled in with my little man, all was well with my world.  We went to the library first and then brought our books home and I let Dakota take his and look them over for 30 minutes.  After that we did his math lesson, working on subtracting half, and then read in our science text about animal adaptation and did the corresponding worksheets.  Dakota read a Diego Rainforest Race book to me and I read 5 chapters of our new Magic Treehouse Book, Afternoon on the Amazon.  Dakota sits well for chapter books, but he still doesn't love them.  Give him picture books any day!  Sometimes I worry because I feel like he should be reading them or at least enjoying them more than he does, but I know that will come eventually.  I like how the MTH book allows us to do our reading while still tying into the rainforest theme that we've been doing for a few weeks now for social studies.  We stayed snuggled on the sofa and read a silly book about manners and Dakota had alot to say about the correct way to act and the polite way to go about things.  It was nice to know that he DOES know about manners, even if he doesn't always practice what he preaches!  We did a SchoolExpress packet on Manners afterward and then Dakota went into his room to watch Ferngully, the Last Rainforest.  It's a cartoon and there is a good message being sent out, but it's a bit intense and at the end my little son said ENOUGH! and turned it off.  Okay.  I can live with that.  No art or music today, but arena football practice for 90 minutes tonight took care of our PE for the day.  Tomorrow is co-op and it is guaranteed NOT to be so peaceful!
     So tomorrow we will wrap up our rainforest unit and I'm just a little sad.  I had no plans to do rainforests for two weeks, but it was so much fun and Dakota enjoyed it so much that it just naturally went on and on.  Our reading, our science and our social studies have all revolved around the topic and I feel very organized and focused when it all comes together like that. 
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week

Senior Year

Changes, COVID and Career