Columbus Day

Today was the observed holiday for Columbus Day and since my older son had the day off I decided ot give Dakota and I the day off too.  We had covered Columbus in great depth (for a first grader, that is) last week.  We read books, mapped his route, talked about his ideas, did some fun papers and then on Friday we made stand up replicas of the Nina (that Koda pronounces "Ninna"), Pinta and
Santa Maria and of good old Columbus himself. 

Our day started with friends stopping by early.  We ladies had coffee on the deck and the kids played inside.  After they left I decided to tackle the rest of the move towards getting all Dakota's toys into his room and making Natalie's room the nursery with a homeschool cabinet and closet.  It took me about 90 minutes to clean Dakota's room and finish squeezing the last of his little toys into the remaining nooks and crannies while he did a lite brite sheet.  The hubby came home for lunch so we stopped for a little while and then I tackled the playroom/nursery, which is now solely the nursery.  I got all Natalie's clothes either hung up on put in bins, her toys clean, with fresh batteries, on the shelves and all her diapers, wipes, bibs, blankets etc within easy reach.  Then I tackled the homeschool cabinet and closet.  I worked clear up until 6:00, but I finished and everything looks so neat and organized!  I know what supplies I have (at least up here...the basement is a whole other story!) and where they are and as long as I don't look at my two desks, I feel successful!  My hope was to be ready to have a full day of school tomorrow, but I will need one more day to plan and work for PCA before I can be ready for the rest of October.  That's the beauty of homeschooling, though.  Since I need it, I will take it!  And I will try not to feel guilty.  Dakota has plenty of good videos to watch and books to read to keep him occupied for a few hours before I turn him loose to play.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week

Senior Year

Changes, COVID and Career