A Change for the Better

There have been alot of changes in my life lately that have caused me heartache and tears, not necessarily because they were bad, but because they were big..important...life altering.  As this week of new beginnings has played out, however, I have noticed a very positive change....my youngest son, Dakota.

Dakota is a wild child.  He is high energy, high maintenance, full of sass and swag.  He is adorable and has a kind, loving heart, but he is also quick to fire up an attitude, has a hot temper and can test the patience of even the most saintly people.  This week, however, I have seen a huge change.  Last week he whined and cried about school.  He didn't want it to start.  He didn't want to do work.  He wasn't going to be able to play.  Saturday his brother moved out and went off to college.  Dakota stayed with his grandmom at home because I knew it was going to be a long day. I had alot of trouble adjusting and I cried alot over the next few days.  I am not usually one to cry.  Dakota always found me, told me it was okay, gave me a hug and stood by until I got it together.  We started school on Monday and my usually reluctant learner dove right in. He worked well independently, didn't give me a hard time about any of his lessons and declared looking up words in the dictionary fun!  

Usually during any given day, there is turmoil and attitude and meltdowns about going to the neighbors house to play with the twin  boys there.  This week Dakota did ask, but not until the end of the day and when I have told him he would only have an hour because we had baseball, he came right home when he should, changed his clothes and was ready to walk out the door.

At baseball practice on Thursday there he was, looking like Joe Cool in his brother's hand me down shades, black Maryland Terrapin hat, black under armor shirt and black shorts.  He was hustling (definitely not something Dakota normally does) and there was no attitude when he missed a play.  He was throwing with force and with accuracy.  He was hitting hard and running fast.  Who was this masked man?

We've had some conversations too.  About deer, being the youngest child, relationships, family, life, space....he's asked alot of questions and was really interested in discussing the answers.  In the past he would have grown impatient if I didn't answer like he wanted me to.  Now I was having meaningful conversations with him and enjoying every minute.

I have handed out praise again and again.  I really like this new Dakota!  It's all the best things about him.  He is kind, gentle, thoughtful and hardworking.  Could it be because his brother is away at college and he knows that he is the only one left?  Could it be that it is just a natural maturation for him?  His birthday is Monday and he will be eight.  Maybe that's his golden age?  I don't know, but whatever it is, I hope it lasts.  I always love my son.  I wouldn't trade him for the world and he's a great kid.  But the fact is, he's also hard to raise.  My little hothead can wear you down!  This new Dakota, though, is a joy.  He is a pleasure to be around and I am amazed at this new personality.  I don't know if it will last another day, another week or another month, but I sure am going to enjoy it while it lasts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week

Senior Year

Changes, COVID and Career