Just the Two of Us

Dakota and I had a "just the two of us" vacation this past week at Jellystone campground.  The older guys went on a "man's only" camping trip at Point Lookout and after considering for awhile, decided that Dakota would be bored and he couldn't go.  I didn't want him to be disappointed so I used my credits for the campground and we were able to stay in a small cabin for two nights for under $50.

We left on Wednesday and made the hour and a half drive to Hagerstown.  When we first arrived and after unpacking the truck, we played a game of putt putt golf and then a thunderstorm threatened and we hung out in the cabin for about an hour.  When things cleared up I talked Dakota into trying laser tag, something he didn't want to do only because I knew he had no idea that it involved guns and shooting and pretend "battles", all things that are very high on the Dakota Baublitz things to enjoy list right now.  He LOVED it, of course, and after about an hour of laser tag a bunch of children, under the supervision of some teenagers, played a game of dodge ball.  There were also medicine balls to be jumped on and there was more laser tag going on.  Several hours later I talked a very tired and very dirty little boy into calling it quits.  He got a shower, put on his pjs and we went to the open air movie that was showing.  I found it funny, in a "that's my kid" kind of way when, after I insisted going to the movie and he didn't want to go, he said "you know mom, it's not all about you".  Ha!  So we DID go together and see the movie, The Great Mouse Detective, and it was me begging to go back to the cabin because I was tired and him begging to stay because he loved the movie.  So we stayed, sharing a blanket on a beautiful August 1st night.

When we got into the cabin I assumed that we would sleep together in the double bed.  He had other ideas, wanting to sleep on the top bunk bed.  Problem with that is we only had one big blanket.  He told me not to worry....I could use the toddler bed blanket we keep in the car or a towel.  What a kid!  Once I turned off all the lights in the cabin, however, he was more than happy to jump in bed with me and share his blanket.

Thursday say another beautiful day and played another game of golf and spent about four hours at the pool.  The water was a great temperature, Dakota could do the slide all by himself, and I sat in my bathing suit, reading magazines and chatting on the phone with my niece in Missouri.  We went back and made a very sad little campfire to roast hot dogs over and then off we went for more laser tag.  When we got there two little girls told me the girl that was following him around like a puppy had met him at the pool today and liked him. Dakota seemed unphased.  After several hours of laser tag, while walking back to our cabin, I told him that the little girl liked him.  He said "I know, she told me at the pool, but I told her I've had a girlfriend for two years now so she could just be my friend".  HA!  Gotta love Koda!  We chose to skip the movie that night, staying in to watch the Olympic swimming and gymnastics.  We slept snuggled up together under the "sissy" blanket and put another very fun mommy and Dakota day under our belts.















On Friday it was time to come home and I think we were both okay with it.  We showered and packed up early and were on the road by 9am.  I took a little side trip to the main part of Hagerstown and we enjoyed a nice breakfast at Bob Evans.  We had good conversation there and actually all the way home.  We talked about how it was going to be just him and I alot coming up very soon since Daddy had two football teams and Brian David was moving into his college dorm in two weeks.  Just the two of us.  Sometimes that can be an overwhelming statement, but this time around, it was wonderful.  I think we just may make it a tradition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, COVID and Career

Senior Year

Last Week