One Step Forward and Two Steps Back

Yesterday, besides being my younger daughter's 27th birthday, was also our first day back to school after the Christmas break.  We had needed the break and made the most of it, but it was time to get back.  I had done a lot of planning for both my homeschooled son and my preK granddaughter and daycare baby and I was ready.  I got up at 5:30am to have "me" time before school and then the day ran pretty much on schedule.  It wasn't without it's bumps and my son was sooooooo tired, but we made it.
     Our day included 30 minutes of personal reading and 30 minutes of morning work for my son to start off the day independently while I made Alligator A's and practiced writing and sounding out the letter A and reading alligator books with the littles.  Then they played and watched an alphabet video while my son and I learned about the atmosphere layers using a labeled balloon and watched some awesome Youtube videos.  We did a little paperwork, managed to get through all of our scheduled math with a minimum of attitude and then began his Writecraft Minecraft unit where he does some writing, but also follows the directions to make a project using Minecraft, a big passion of his currently.
     After lunch we started our second History of Us book focusing on the years 1600 to 1770 in American history.  We learned about Galileo and ended up discussing many things about religion and change and other countries, which kept us from doing our related video and project, but was rewarding all the same.
     The best part of my day, however, was getting an evening out with my husband.  Nothing special, I suppose, but we visited his mom in the hospital and then had a fabulous dinner at a local favorite restaurant that had changed venues.  I had veal and onions and he had sour beef and dumplings and it was so incredibly good!
     So it was a good day for school and our personal lives right!  Back on track.  Putting the laziness back in it's time sucking cage.
     Well, not really.  My son had gone to the Towson basketball game with his big brother and a few of his college friends.  He had so much fun and the boys included him in games and pizza afterward.  So instead of his regular bedtime, he ended up with a midnight one.  Then, I get up and realize we are having a snowstorm (just supposed to be snow showers!) and public schools are closed so since I wasn't going to get much more than an overtired, grumpy attitude from my boy anyway, I gave him a snow day.  Now tomorrow we have 1/2 a day because I have my county review for homeschooling and then we are supposed to have a science center program at 5:45, but it's supposed to be so cold the wind chill will be below zero and we have to go back and forth outside.   They will most likely postpone that.  THEN Thursday we are to be at the Science Center all day for classes and then he goes right to EcoAdventures for his aftercare class where he is working towards being a Junior Assistant.  Sigh.  Routine. That's becoming a comical word.  It seems that every time I think we are going to be able to get in some structure and routine, life happens.  I try to go with the flow because we homeschool so we can experience life, but I am a creature of habit and my boy does best with structure and routine.  I try to make that happen, but it always feels like one step forward and two steps back.

Comments

Sistergirl said…
I am interested in your Minecraft program. Could you share more in future post. I have tried to sign up for the homeschool Minecraft Club but it not very active.

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, COVID and Career

Senior Year

Last Week