My Wish

Two posts today, the last day before homeschooling posts really take over (although I won't say that matters of the heart and life with my older three children won't play a part).  Today it's about My Wish, the song and the reality.  Over the last two years my son Brian has endured alot of heartache.  He is someone who gives his all...whether it's in sports, academics or affairs of the heart.  He loves passionately and fully.  Those things or people who are a recipient of that love are truly blessed.

Brian's first relationship was wonderful...for a short time.  He was in love with love.  He met a girl just before going into Spalding that some friends introduced him to and they seemed well suited.  The transition into a new school was made easier because she was there and introduced him to all her friends.  As the months went by, however, she became manipulative and demanding.  He thought that was how relationships went and, being the kind soul that he is, he followed along.  Eventually though, after about nine months, he realized he was being lied to and manipulated and they broke up.  The first six months were terrible for him and for us.  He found he had no group of friends at school because all his friends were her friends.  He had to start over again.  His heart ached, he missed her, but he knew he deserved better.  It took the better part of a year for him to come full circle.  He got back to enjoying just being Brian and spending time with family and friends.  But I know he was lonely often for something that I couldn't give him.  I prayed and I wished everyday that someone would come along who would be the one for him.  Someone kind and sweet.  Someone who would appreciate the good person he was, tolerate his quirks and love him for who he was.

Move ahead two years and Brian went off to college.  He had been speaking to alot of future Towson students online, but one in particular seemed to take up more time and seemed to get more smiles from him.  I kept praying and kept wishing.  I warned him to take it slow when he moved onto campus.  Make lots of friends, join groups, get involved.  I will admit that my heart sank when just 36 hours after moving in he stated he was "in a relationship".  I was so worried that history was repeating itself.  Then there was a misunderstanding and I got a phone call from him, heartbroken that maybe he had stepped right back into the fire.  I talked to him, gave him advice, weighed the pros and cons.  He mulled it over, talked it over with this new young lady, and they set some ground rules and decided that they liked each other enough to try to make a fresh start.

The following weekend my husband had his home opener for football and Brian wanted to bring his girl to see where he had gone to school and played ball.  I invited her to stay with us for the weekend, as they had two concerts to see, as well as the game.  She was very nervous, he said, about meeting me.  He had no idea how nervous I was about meeting her.  When he brought his first girlfriend home for the first time I knew right off that it was going to end badly.  What if I felt that way again?  What if I didn't like her?  What if she was manipulating my son or taking advantage of him?  More praying.  More wishing.

Friday came and I cleaned the house, worried and worried, prayed and wished.  When I picked her up I noticed first that she was adorable and she popped into the backseat with the two little ones and was comfortable.  That was a plus.  People who are uncomfortable around children give me cause for concern.  We chatted on the way home and I was trying to gauge things.  I watched them as they hung out.  We went to dinner together.  We went to football.  ........   Guess what?  I like her!  Alot!  She is down to earth and open.  Quiet, but can hold a good conversation.  She smiles easily and participates in discussions.  And, most of all, she seems to really "get" my son.  He is sweet, and she seemed to know this already.  He is goofy, and she didn't giggle or give him a dirty look, but she smiled at him, giving him that look that said "that was goofy, but it's okay because I like you for you".  She held his hand, but didn't hang all over him.  She watched an incredibly awful football game, never complaining, when I know she didn't know a thing about what was going on.

By Sunday night we had seen each other off and on several times, but at the Rascal Flatts concert I got to really observe the two of them together.  Guess what?  I think (and I hope with all my heart) that my wish has come true.  My son is so happy and relaxed.  His girl seems happy and relaxed.  She isn't domineering, but she guides him gently when he needs it.  She doesn't make fun of him, but she laughs when he's funny.  I haven't seen my boy look that happy in a long time.  In the truck going home they were sitting next to one another singing, looking like two people with a whole lot of happiness ahead.  I cried alot of tears last night.  I still cried for the boy who left here who will never be the same innocent, boy again.  But I also cried because he has found what he has been looking for and I think it's all good.  Thank you, Megan, for being who you are.  I am, at this point and time, so grateful he has found you.  You are welcome into our home and our family life any time.  Please be kind and gentle to him.  He will treat you with so much love and respect and he deserves that in return.  He once told me you said he was too good to be true....I have something to tell you....he is.  You won't ever find anyone else with a heart so pure.  Take care of him for me while he's away, but please remember to share.  I love him more than you can ever imagine.

My wish for you is that this life becomes all that you want it to
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small
You never have to carry more than you can hold
And while you're out there gettin' where your gettin' to
I hope you know somebody loves you
And wants the same thing too
Yeah this, is my wish

I love you, Brian David.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Last Week

Changes, COVID and Career