A Weekend at the Beach

Saturday morning saw us leaving for Ocean City and excited to be leaving our hectic schedule behind.  Dakota, Brian and I made only one stop and it was to grab breakfast sandwiches at McDonalds.  We got snagged up briefly by the drawbridge, but arrived safe and sound around 11am.  We hit the beach and Dakota really enjoyed hanging out in the water with his Dad, being thrown around by the rough surf.  They both thought this was great fun and while I laughed like crazy at the two of them, I knew things must be rough when the lifeguards kept gathering people around and warning them of the dangers.  We took a break, got Thrashers french fries and hit the bathrooms and then spent another hour or so on the beach.  Around 2pm we got into our room and spent the next couple of hours relaxing and catching up on our computers.  Around 5, I took Dakota up to the beach and there were lots of kids playing in the pool the high tide had left on the beach so I let him go back up and get his swim trunks on and we went back to the surf.  Brian joined us and we had a really great walk along the beach while Dakota darted back and forth from the water to the sand in front of us.  Around 7:00 we headed back to our room, cleaned up and went up onto the boardwalk to eat.  We chose a nice little Italian restaurant called Piezano's and I don't know if the food was really good or we were starving, but there were no complaints here! I thought we would continue back down the boardwalk to the rides and games, but Dakota was wiped out and we went back to the room, got showers and watched the Oriole game.  We were all exhausted and the room was dark before 10.

Sunday dawned rainy and cool.  We took our time getting up and out.  We hit the boardwalk around 11 for Playland arcade games and another round of Thrashers french fries.  Afterward, we played 27 holes of putt putt golf in a misty rain, but it's one of our favorite family activities, so we put our hoods up and had a go at it.  It was fun and I only lost by 1!!  A new record!  My husband either cheats or he is really that good.

After relaxing in our rooms again for a few hours, we went for a nice dinner at J.R.'s Ribs, where we enjoyed good music and a tasty meal.  It was raining again when we left, but we took the chance and went over to Assateague.  The skies started to clear and we took a new path through the woods to the Radcliffe House.  It's something our family has always enjoyed doing and we saw many rabbits, caught a tiny frog to pet and let go and saw several deer, one up close.  We ended up far from our car, but it was a nice walk, even though our feet were soaked.  We rode through the front part of the island before heading back and got to see a herd of horses eating along the side of the road.  We are very fortunate to live in an area where we can visit the island and actually see wild horses.  They are beautiful and carefree and really don't care at all about the humans everywhere trying to take their picture.

We finished the night in grand fashion around 8:00, having Dairy Queen ice creams and watching music videos in the restaurant.  I had a chocolate and strawberry sundae that was to die for.  Now it's 8:45 and we are all freshly showered and watching baseball.  Brian and Dakota are playing their last vacation game of Stratego and I am enjoying a little quiet time in my bed next to the window where a heavenly breeze is blowing.  While I am ready to go home so I can be with my own stuff in my own house, I'll miss the beach and I am not looking forward to the laundry and PCA work and daycare that all awaits me the minute I walk in the door.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Week

Senior Year

Changes, COVID and Career