Counting the days

I am not normally someone who likes to see life rush by.  I try to savor every minute, stop and smell the roses....all those old cliches that I really do believe in.  These days, however, I am counting the days to one of the best things that has happened to me in the last six years.  Next week, on Wednesday, May 25th, my oldest daughter...my very first baby...will be giving birth to my very first granddaughter.  I am beside myself with joy at this event and I am truly counting the days until my husband, youngest son and I can leave to make the drive to North Carolina to see my daughter and to be there with her as she takes this giant step in her life that she has been waiting so very long for.  I can't sleep at night and I can't focus during the day.  I think about the birth, my daughter, the first moment I lay eyes on my granddaughter.  I dream of holding her in my arms and starting a relationship with her that will last a lifetime.  Her mother is one of my very best friends and I hope that my granddaughter and I can have that kind of bond as she grows up.  I want to be a very active part of her life, cheering her on, holding her hand, being her biggest fan in everything she does.  I know that it will be bittersweet and very, very hard when I have to leave her a few days after her birth to return home to Maryland, but if I can manage a few weeks at a time between her visits she will soon be here to stay, coming to my house daily while her momma works and fitting snuggly into my life.  I've never been a grandmom before and I wonder why I didn't feel quite so giddy about the birth of my children....but then I remember that I did certainly have all these dreams, but I was also sick, swollen, uncomfortable and very tired of being pregnant during this stage of their development and with my grandchild, I am fresh and well and physically comfortable and therefore I can truly enjoy these last days leading up to her birth.  I can only hope that all goes as well as I have imagined, because my dreams are heartbreakingly tender and I am living for the day when I can hold that sweet little girl in my arms.  One more week.  7 more days.  Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, COVID and Career

Senior Year

Last Week