Counting Down

46 Hours.  2 Sleeps.  The day after tomorrow.  Two days from now. 

I am counting down the time before I will be with my daughter and granddaughter again and this time it's permanent.  They are moving back to Maryland, right down the street temporarily, and I am looking forward to having them in my life on a daily basis again.  I want to feel the weight of my granddaughter's sleeping head in the crook of my arm.  I want to see my daughter's smile when she tells me a funny story.  I want to feel the soft baby skin on my lips when I kiss my granddaughter good night or hello or good morning.  Fifteen months is a long time, but I've made it through and the reward is within reach.  Unfortunately, there is a long six hour drive separating us, but that is just a nuisance.  We are leaving very early on Thursday morning and hoping to arrive by lunch time.  They have packed up their home and most of their belongings are in the garage waiting for the men in our family to come and help my son in law pack it into the moving truck.  My daughter has the steam cleaner to do the carpets and she is waiting for me to do the kitchen and bath (gee thanks!)  Friday morning my husband and older son will get into the moving truck and my son in law will pack the dogs into his car and they will leave early, getting to Baltimore and unloading.  My daughter and I will keep the two little ones, clean the house, hand over the keys and off we'll go, leaving it all behind them. 

I'm proud of my daughter and what she has accomplished in her adventure.  She and her husband made a home together with their dogs and all their belongings and made it a family when their daughter was born in May.  My daughter learned to make daily meals, clean, handle problems in both her marital life and her home and, most importantly, learned how to be a mommy.  She, like I did in the past, had to do it all on her own because there wasn't anyone to do it for her or even with her.  I had her in Germany, my entire family an ocean away.  I learned to trust my instincts and make my own way so that I was sure and strong when family came knocking at the door trying to tell me how it should be. 

So I am waiting.  Tick.  Tick.  Tick.  Waiting for Thursday.  Waiting for all to be right with the world again.  ..........  While daughter number two is buying her plane ticket today for her move to Tennessee in two short weeks.....Here we go again...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Year

Last Week

Changes, COVID and Career